Firefighters battle blaze in cold
House considered a total loss
GRAFTON – Members of the Grafton Volunteer Fire Department were called out to battle a structure fire in sub zero temperatures Tuesday morning in Grafton.
According to GVFD Fire Chief Ken Popiel, the call came in at 9:42 a.m., of a structure fire at the residence at 644 Stephen Avenue in Grafton, located east of the Grafton Elevator adjacent to the railroad tracks.
Popiel said when firefighters arrived there was heavy smoke coming out of a southwest facing window and light smoke coming out of the rest of the windows in the house.
Popiel said on the scene they determined the fire was mostly contained in the living room area at the west end of the structure. It’s also believed the fire started there and was accidental. He said firefighters quickly knocked the fire down and cleared the house of smoke.
According to Popiel, the living room had heavy fire damage with the rest of the house having heavy smoke damage.
“I would consider it a total loss,” he said.
There was an adult female and two children in the home at the time of the fire. Popiel said the adult female was taken to Unity Medical Center and kept there for observation. There were no injuries reported.
Firefighters were initially on the scene until approximately 11:30 a.m., but were recalled to the scene at 1:55 p.m., when some molding on the living room ceiling rekindled.